Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Inner Workings of a Brilliant Mind. (heh)

I was thinking today about how great it would be if there were some kind of futuristic invention that could help get the ideas from inside my head into a concrete form outside of my head. And then I remembered....oh, yeah. That's called "a blog."

But what I really meant is some kind of invention that would help me keep those thoughts organized and sorted and illustrated with images that would help convey my thoughts. And then I remembered....oh, yeah. That's called "Blogger."

But I really meant, more specifically, that I don't always have the right photos or drawing skills to use for those illustrations, and even if I did, the images I have in my head aren't always a REAL item, but rather some concept I picture with things that are smooshed together or altered or exist solely in my imagination! THAT'S what I need -- a futuristic invention that can instantly replicate those mental images! And then I remembered....oh, yeah. Those are called "Google Images" and "PhotoShop."

So I guess what I really meant is that I need something to make using all those nifty inventions just easier or more frequent. And then I remembered....oh, yeah. That's called "Motivation." (Or, actually, now that I think about it again, it is also sometimes called "AdSense"....though that wasn't really the type of motivation I was originally thinking about. Perhaps one day...)

Anyway, this brilliant brainstorming session really helped me see precisely what I need in order to get more posting done: Motivation & PhotoShop! I'm pretty sure I can pick those on ebay. Ebay's got everything!

I felt so much better after working out this solution to my writer's block...

And then I got to thinking, really, it's not so much "writer's block" as it is "writer's detour." I have plenty of material. I have a folder full of drafts that I simply haven't published. Yes, the ideas are plentiful, but the actual typing and explaining and proof-reading and fixing and making sense to other people get me all bogged down. It's like a long, bumpy, unpaved one-lane dirt road that is unpleasant enough to travel that you sometimes choose not to go even though you really like getting to the other side. (simile!) It's road construction that goes on and on and on, and every time you drive past the workers are taking donut breaks or gathering on the shoulder while leaning on their shovels and admiring their past progress and discussing how to proceed. (metaphor!) And then there are all those distractions along the side of the road. It's sitting down at the computer to drive type, but then reading interesting news headlines and then being sidetracked by daily blog reading and interesting links and then getting some more coffee and -- shoot! I'm still thinking about donuts and I need to get groceries anyway and I could pick up donuts while I'm at the store, and then while I'm out and about I go right past Target and I wonder if that mirror I've been looking at is on sale today?, and then its almost time for the kids to get home and woah where did the day go and now it's almost supper time and it feels so good to sit down and put my feet up for a minute and please hand me the the remote because I wonder what's on Bravo tonight and I'll just check real quick and how on earth did those women not know they were pregnant?? and what? -- it's bedtime already?! (literal!!)

And, hey! Speaking of metaphors & similes, I just had another flash of insight: ideas are like meteors! They're sometimes brilliant. and always fleeting and sudden and unexpected and if you blink you might miss them and if you don't get to the computer fast enough to write them down they just vanish into thi

No comments: