Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Invisibly Busy

Is this really my first post for the month of October? How did that happen? Where has the time gone? What have I been doing??

The short answer, I suppose, is "I've been busy."

The long answer is actually the same, but followed by a list of time-taking activities that I tick off on my fingers while I sigh heavily and shrug my shoulders in helpless submission. And do you know why I feel compelled to provide that list of activities as evidential proof? It's because there is very little to show for all this alleged "busyness".

There are very few new posts to read, my in-box remains clogged with unanswered messages, few meals have been prepared, this new house looks pretty much the same (though things are happening underneath the surface!), and I'm still maneuvering around unpacked boxes here and there.

But I'm telling you, it's true: I've been busy.

Well, maybe not yesterday. Yesterday, I read a book, browsed endlessly through ebay and the blogosphere (upcoming treats for you!), and took a nap. But I maintain that that was necessary. And very productive, psychologically speaking. Especially since I got up at 3:00 A.M.!!, which is simply absurd. Coasting along in neutral was the only reasonable way to spend the day, right?

But, again, invisible.

My busyness. Let me "show" it to you:

Jujyfruit's List of Invisible Busyness That Did Not Involve Facebook or Reading or Laundry -- I've attended 6 football games, 10 cross country meets, 9 therapy appointments, 1 IEP, 2 dentist appointments, 1 doctor appointment, 1 haircut, 1 all-day conference, 1 evening workshop; had 1 birthday sleepover party for 10 and 1 weekend of houseguests; made 1 trip to Kansas; dealt with all those darn corners; and scheduled/met/waited for 11 house-related appointments to repair/install/measure/estimate/remove.

I've variously been without water, electricity, TV, internet, phone, dryer, microwave, and oven at various points. We are down one toilet right now. The floor is missing in parts of the kitchen.

There was no hurricane or tragedy or life-threatening emergency. Everything's chugging along just fine -- only busy.

And, yes, I completely realize that many of you out there can top my List of Busyness with one month tied behind your back. But this is a stretch for me.

The good news is, the kids' sport seasons are nearly over, which will free up several days each week.

(Don't get me wrong -- it was great fun to watch them, and I was thrilled that they each had such enjoyable and successful seasons. But I wouldn't mind sleeping in and lounging around on Saturday mornings, or watching Survivor some time, or eating an actual homecooked meal all together once in a while. And Junior could sure use some more down time...but that's a whole 'nother story.)

In addition, since much of the invisible house stuff is now nearly done, we can move on to the visible stuff soon! I want to see change. I want results. I want paint.

I'm not looking for pity. I'm not looking for one-uppances or challenges in the Who Works Harder competition.

What I'm looking for is someone to come unpack the rest of my clothes. And figure out where to put all the old office stuff. And deal with my makeup.


Hey, don't judge! I just moved, you know. It's only been....(shuffling calendar pages)...wha??



6 1/2 weeks?!?




Oh.

No comments: